How did it take me so long to realise how easy it is to make my own, diary-free custard creams.
An absolute favourite as a child, I’m so happy to have these back in my life. I’ve got a batch made to eat, and dough frozen on standby to top up.
- 100 g vegan spread
- 50 g caster sugar
- 110 g plain flour (sieved)
- 50 g custard powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 125 g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp custard powder
- 50 g vegan spread
Make the biscuits
- In a bowl, mix together the vegan spread and sugar for 2/3 minutes until creamy.
- Add in the flour, custard powder and vanilla extract. Mix together to form a dough.
- On a floured worktop, roll out the dough to around 5mm thick and cut into shapes using your cutter of choice.
- Place onto a baking paper lined tray and cook at 180°C (365°F or gas mark 4) for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Place on a cooling rack and ice when biscuits are fully cooled.
Make the cream
- In your mixer add the vegan spread, custard powder and icing sugar. Whisk until a smooth buttercream is formed.
- Place your filling in a piping bag, pipe onto one biscuit then press another on top.