There’s a tradition in this house. Every Tuesday when Bake Off is on, we make cauliflower and almond pizzas and evaluate the recipe to try and find the perfect mixture.
Variations have included different types of flour (buckwheat, almond, bread, pastry), methods of shredding the cauliflower (blender, food processor, by hand, pre-made cauliflower-rice) salts (truffle, oak-smoked, sea salt) and herbs (Rosemary, mixed Italian herbs, oregano).
A couple of seasons go Bake Off and a lot of pizza later, I think we’ve cracked it. I LOVE this pizza base. Not only is it really tasty, but it’s also got crunch and structure, so you can pick up a slice without it crumbling.
Cauliflower pizza base
- 320 g cauliflower (about 1 small head)
- 1 flax seed egg (1 tablespoon milled flax seed to 3 tbsp water)
- 100 g ground almonds
- 80 g chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, 35°F or gas mark 4
- Mix together the milled flax seed and water in a small dish and leave aside for 5 minutes until it turns into a paste.
- In a food processor, use the shredding disc and metal blade to grate and chop the cauliflower into a fine mixture.
- In a separate bowl, add the ground almonds, chickpea flour, salt, pepper, baking soda and flaxseed egg. Combine with a mixer.
- Add the cauliflower to the mix along with any herbs. (I've added rosemary before and it was delicious.) The dough should come together in a ball within your mixer.
- Line two trays with baking paper and spread a tablespoon of melted coconut oil on each.
- Place half of the mixture on each tray. Using a fork spread the mixture until it's around 1/2 inch thick. You should get a pizza base that's about 12 inches wide.
- Pop both in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, flip the base using a plate and cook for a further 6 minutes.
- As your base is cooking, prepare your toppings. You can user whatever you want! In these photos, there's one hoisin sauce, vegan haggis and mushroom pizza, and a tomato, pepper and artichoke pizza.
- Once your base is ready, add the toppings and pop back in the oven at the same temperature for a further 8-10 minutes.